Sunday, November 13, 2005

What Date?

Tonight a close friend of ours will be performing a most unnatural act; she will be going out on a date. It has been my belief that the 'Date' is an extinct act, usually reserved for romantics and flimsy paperback novels you can pick up for $2.99. So you can imagine our shock when our friend casually mentioned that she was to be attending a date tonight! So as we picked out an outfit and an emergency escape route for our friend (can never be too safe), we realised that it may be a carefully developed sense of cynicism within the female species that has seen the end of the date.

Has the world become too cynical and jaded to still believe in the important ritual of a date?

Tonight, our friend will venture out for all the romantics and dreamers of this world. She will be armed with lipstick, towering pumps and an open mind. In her little act, she will single-handedly re-vamp the date and hopefully this will inspire all you fellas to ask a lady friend out and ladies, perhaps the next time some average Joe asks you out, think yourself as a pioneer and say yes to that allusive date....you never know what could happen.

9 Comments:

Blogger PiCkLeS said...

I disagree, I think that the 'date' is still a very common thing. There's a few single ladies at work and every few weeks they will venture out on a date. The stories are hilarious! I love it because it feels like highschool again.

6:10 PM  
Blogger lil_lamies said...

What defines a date then? Dinner and a movie or candlelight and 3 courses?

6:59 PM  
Blogger lil_lamies said...

humm i don’t know... my experiences of dating have recently all been questionable. There were the two guys that turned out to be two timing. The first who introduced me to his parents and my friend caught him attacking some chicks lips, and then there was the one who dated me whilst he had been seeing a friend of mine for a while. Then there's the one that gets attached and husband like within the first hour.

I hold almost little to no hope for the "date" now.

Lisa

7:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hmmm....the "date". It seems that many people go on dates, without referring it to being a "date". Its been a while since I have heard the word "date" being used to describe the first meeting with a guy or gal.

I think people hate using the word date, cos it implies that something is "going on" and now a days people are so guarded that they prefer to call it "coffee" because its safer and avoids disappointment. People are scared to admit that they may like someone, because if nothing happens they may feel the fool....

I say...Cheers and a big "Welcome back" to the "date", because its time people relax and enjoy the quirky, awkward yet fascinating phenomena of that first little meeting (regardless of whether it is a success or not)!!!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Dianna said...

haha passwords are cool =D
Dates are common in america i think, not so much here in Australia.
Give me a few days to think why.

btw, I'm di, I know matty.


=D

2:41 PM  
Blogger Dianna said...

oh and lisa i think we spoilt the sirius dying thing for someone else after your comment on my blog. He was quite displeased lol.

and oops, i'm sure I just spoilt it for another one or two person/people reading this comment =P

2:42 PM  
Blogger lil_lamies said...

Hi Matty and Di thanks for joining us in our little retarded world! As for you Di, I suggest you no longer speak of he who's name must not be mentioned, you will ruin it for the WORLD!!

8:17 AM  
Blogger petals said...

The first date with my current bf was on a Tuesday.

Whoever heard of a dinner date on a Tuesday?!??!?!

But obviously it worked out, since we have been together for over a year now.

When my bf asked me out, it was to a "coffee" or "dinner"...as i dont drink coffee and he proposed coffee in the evening after work, i suggested "dinner" instead...i mean i wasnt prepared to starve for a guy i just met!!! *LoL*

We both didnt refer to it as a date, until afterwards...but in my head i knew it was a date...i guess i was a bit antsy about the pressures of a "date"!

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw - the date went well, and since there has been a second!! ;p

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home